Author: Brett Dolbeer | Automation Product Specialist | Dayton, OH
Controls Engineers are often faced with the challenge of getting industrial automation devices from multiple manufacturers to communicate with each other.
Usually the issue stems around devices not knowing the communication "protocol" used (i.e. over serial or Ethernet ports), or there may be no protocol at all and the device just wants a simple string of characters sent to it. Red Lion breaks down the barriers to industrial communication with the Data Station Plus.
The Data Station Plus is the "brain" of Red Lion's HMIs packaged in a box that mounts on a standard DIN rail. Armed with two RS-232 serial ports, an RS-485 serial port, and an Ethernet port, the Data Station is ready for your communication challenge. Programmed with the free software, Crimson 3.0, you can select from an extensive library of over 250 protocols (all included at no charge) or use "raw" drivers to send custom messages. The "Gateway Block" feature of Crimson makes it easy to take information mapped to tags assigned to one protocol and port it to tags assigned to another protocol (like Allen Bradley Ethernet/IP to Modbus/TCP). The Data Station also is capable of data logging, sending email or SMS notifications, and even sending data to a Microsoft SQL Server. Information can be viewed from its built-in Web Server or sent via FTP to a file server.
Data Station Plus Product Spotlight
- DSPLE000 - Data Station Plus Multiple Protocol Converter, Comms, Ethernet, and Expansion Slot
- DSPSX000 - Data Station Plus Multiple Protocol Converter, Data Logger, Web Server with Virtual HMI up to QVGA (320 x 240) and Expansion Slot
- DSPZR000 - Enhanced Data Station Plus; High Performance Protocol Converter/Data Logger/Web Server
- DSPGT000 - Data Station with Multiple Protocol Converter, Data Logger, Web Server with Virtual HMI up to VGA (640 x 480) Size and Expansion Slot with Increased SDRAM
- CSMSTRGT - Modular Controller Master with Multiple Protocol Converter, Data Logger, Web Server with Virtual HMI up to VGA (640 x 480) Size and Expansion Slot with Increased SDRAM
- CSMSTRLE - Modular Controller Master with Multiple Protocol Converter, Ethernet, and Expansion Slot
- CSMSTRSX - Enhanced Modular Controller Master; Burgundy, DIN Rail Mount, 24 Volt DC
- CSMSTRZR - High Performance Protocol Converter, Data Logger
- PTV00000 - ProducTVity Station - Plant Floor Communications Solution
Crescent Electric has application engineers on staff to help you tackle your next project. Contact your local branch today.
Click here to subscribe to future articles and stay up to date with Crescent Electric.